One of the activities I find most rewarding is giving master classes and workshops in a range of clarinet, bass clarinet, composition, and music-career related topics.
I’ve appeared as a guest artist/clinician around the Unites States, as well is in New Zealand, the UK, Germany, and Mexico. I recently had a wonderful opportunity to expand on and refine many of my approaches in a series of 20 videos I made for the Bass Clarinet Intensive course at the Digital Clarinet Academy.
My topics and approaches can provide a valuable counterpoint to more “traditional” approaches and topics that students are likely to encounter during their studies. Possible topics include the following:
Creating New Repertoire: Discussion of commissioning, arranging, and composing. This can be specifically geared toward clarinetists, or it can be for any performing musicians.
- Composing for Clarinetists: Hands-on workshop where I actually get clarinetists creating their own original clarinet music!
Clarinet and Mindfulness: Becoming present and attuned to the feeling and sensations of playing; mindful practice techniques. So far, my approach has been clarinet-specific, but I am interested in expanding it to performing musicians more generally.
- Bass Clarinet Fundamentals: Basics of breathing, sound production, and voicing, with an emphasis on being open and tension-free – meant to be useful for ALL bass clarinetists, from beginning to advanced.
- Contemporary Bass Clarinet Techniques
- Introduction to Klezmer Clarinet: Teaching students a tune by ear and workshopping klezmer playing techniques with them; could also include an overview of the history of klezmer clarinet, if time.
- Composing for Bass Clarinet: Tips for composers on writing for bass clarinet, including demonstrations of range, tone colors, and extended techniques.
- Composing a Career: Career tips for composers.
- Alternate Career Paths in Music: This is more of a talk than a workshop, and could be for any musicians.
- “Traditional” Master Classes in clarinet, bass clarinet, or composition (even in a traditional master class format with standard repertoire, I can offer some unique perspectives on both technical and musical matters)
Any of the above can be offered in either in-person or online formats. Topics can also be combined, and/or presented as part of a larger residency (like giving a recital or coaching students performing my compositions). Please CONTACT ME to discuss further.